Note: Content might be outdated!
You may have heard about “the next billion internet users”, however, I love how Tal Oppenheimer doesn’t focus on “next”, but includes all people on the internet in general when she talks about “Building for billions on the web”.
Here’s a short list extracted from her talk at Google I/O 2016. I’m posting this in early 2018, but it’s clearly just as relevant. WordPress, by the way, seems far, far behind on these goals.
- Build for 2G connections.
- Build for prepaid, limited data plans.
- Build for low RAM, low storage devices.
- Build for first-time experiences on phones.
- Build for high speed, low over the wire request size.
- Build for infrequent, or no update downloads—PWAs FTW.